One more simple pickle from my Great Grandma's recipe list! I hope you enjoy making this super simple and super quick இஞ்சி தொக்கு or Ginger Pickle. It is a very good accompaniment for curd rice or ஊத்தப்பம் (Uthappam)
- 1 cup finely chopped ginger
- 7 or 8 green chillies (less or more based on your spice level preference)
- Medium gooseberry sized tamarind
- Crushed Jaggery - double the amount of tamarind
- 4 tsp Sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard for seasoning
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins
- Peel the skin of ginger and chop it finely.
- Wash and chop the green chillies finely.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil and add the ginger and chillies and fry till the raw smell goes.
- After 3 mins add the tamarind and jaggery and fry for a further 2 mins till they soften up.
|After frying in the pan|
- On cooling, grind the above in a blender with salt and little water if needed.
|After grinding in blender|
- In a pan heat the remaining oil, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Once mustard splutters, add the ground ginger chilly mix.
- Let this fry up for 4-5 mins on low heat. The paste will turn into a reddish brown color as you see in the pic below.
- Tasty ginger pickle is ready to be served.
|Finale...The Ginger Pickle|
Foot note: This pickle can be refrigerated and used.