So, had been buying them and trying out on pasta and soup and realized they r good with drinks too. Found this amazingly simple slush recipe with lemon and basil and to give it a kick I cranked it up with a bit of vodka and made it a cocktail in the end.
Adding the alcohol is purely optional. The slush is super yumm without the spirit too.
4 cups chopped watermelon cubes
1/2 cup roughly chopped basil
1/4 cup water
1/2 lemon or 1tbsp of lemon juice
120ml or lesser vodka(optional)
Prep time: 3 hrs Slush time: 5 mins
- chop the watermelon into cubes and freeze them on a plate for 2-3 hrs minimum
- in a saucepan combine the sugar and water and boil until the sugar dissolves.
- switch off heat and add the roughly chopped basil into the sugar syrup and let it cool down for an hour
- when the melons are frozen, add half of them into a blender along with required sugar syrup( as per sweet liking), lemon juice and pulse.
- now blend in the remaining melons and pulse a little
- serve them in glasses with a sprig of basil on top
- if you prefer to make it a cocktail, add vodka along with the lemon and sugar syrup in the blender and there is your watermelon slushtini;-)
- if adding vodka, you might need more sugar syrup