Its been rainy days since weekend and rains always call for spicy, crunchy evening snacks and a steaming hot cup of chai! I picked some fresh groundnuts(with the shell) from the Indian grocery store last evening to make அவிச்ச கடலை(boiled nuts). However, after boiling them, I wanted to dress them up in color and so it turned out into a spicy, tangy beach style peanut masala...
- 1 cup boiled peanuts
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp finely chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cucumber
- 1 tbsp finely chopped raw mango
- 1/4 tsp chat masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional if mango available)
- 1 tbsp churmur/பொரி or bhel mix
- Salt to taste (optional)
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 10 mins
- Pressure cook the groundnuts, with salt added, to 2 whistles.
- On cooling, open the cooker and break open the groundnuts to remove the outer shell. This process takes about 10 mins.
- To the boiled nuts, add the chopped onions, tomato, cucumber, raw mango, chat masala and salt if needed. Mix all together.
- Finally add the churmur or bhel mix and coriander. Give them a toss and serve immediately.
- Tasty, tangy peanut masala is ready to eat!
- If you do not have fresh groundnuts, you could use the peeled peanuts too. Soak them in water for 5-6 hours and pressure cook them for about 8-10 whistles.
- If you add chopped raw mango, do not add lemon juice as it will make the snack too sour.
- You could add chilli powder too if you like more spice