Friday, September 16, 2011

Peels & Zuchini Thuvayal

Finally I got a chance to try the peels thuvaiyal. I was so glad it turned out good and not bitter:-) When I posted the recipe for Peerkangai Thuvaiyal...I received a load of comments and suggestions on my FB! It took me by surprise....cos I did'nt expect it:-)! It turned out to be so useful for, then I learnt one can actually use the peels of the Ridge gourd to make thuvaiyal. I had always been peeling and throwing them away....what a fool I should have been!

After a lot of deliberation with some of my friends about the peel of ridge gourd being bitter and not usable etc...today I finally tried it and it turned out to be super yummy. I understand there could be some of them which are bitter, so, before you make the dish, taste the skin and check if it is not bitter:-)

In this, instead of using the pulp of the ridge gourd, I have used zuchini to make the thuvaiyal! An idea again from one of my cousins:-)!

Ingredients:

- Peels of one ridge gourd
- Peels of one carrot
- Peels of half  a zuchini( u can use full too)
- Pulp of the zuchini
- a pinch of tamarind
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 red chillies
- 2 green chillies
- 1 1/2 tbsp urad dhal
- 1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil, divided

For seasoning:

- 1 tsp channa dhal
- 1 tsp urad dhal
- few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp oil

Prep time: 15 mins                      Cook time: 15 mins

Preparation:

- Wash all the veggies well in running water before you begin peeling.
- For the ridge gourd, I peeled off the sharp edges and did not use them.

-  Chop the rest of the peel and set aside. Similarly peel the carrots and zuchini, chop them and set aside.Chop the Zuchini into small pieces.
Chopped peels & zuchini
- In a pan, heat 1/2 tsp oil and roast the urad dhal and chillies. After a minute, add the tamarind. Once the dhal is roasted red, add the coconuts and hing and give it a toss. Remove and set aside for cooling.

- In the same pan, add 1/2 tsp of oil and add all the peels and zuchini. Add salt as needed and cook covered for 5 mins on medium flame.

- Once the cooked peels are cooled down, grind them in the mixer without adding any water. The zuchini's water content will be enough.Add the tamarind and chillies along with the peels while grinding.
- After grinding the peels, tamarind and chillies add the rest of the roasted dhal and coconut and give another pulse.
- This will ensure that the urad dhal is a little coarse and gives a nice texture while eating.

- Season with the ingredients given under "seasoning" above for added taste. This can be had with hot rice and ghee and a side of any stir fry curry or papad

Foot note:

- If you do not get Zuchini, where you live, you can use only the ridge gourd and its peel along with carrot peel.


This recipe is participating in Life is green @ Yummilicious Food





15 comments:

  1. wow..beautiful chutney and the ingredients that went in surprised me. you have a nice blog here...Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ramya...ur blog is truly good and loved the pics:-) Thanks for joining my FB page instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. new to me.never tried this way. Must try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting recipe...looks superb...must be great tasting one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely different, new, fresh and green.. lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks chitra, malar and lakshmi...do try it...u will deftly like it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is interesting...looks too good and i bet it tastes yummy too...love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this version of thuyal, healthy and yummy! Pictures are really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mymoonah, Shilpa and Padhu....!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this chutney ...have something similar in blog too ...answered to your qn dear

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the combo of flavors in there ~ nice recipe Hyma.
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete