Thakali thokku or a spicy tomato chutney is a side dish that can be made and preserved for atleast a week in the refrigerator. This will come in handy during the morning rush hour or lazy evenings when you don't have the time or interest to make a chutney.
- 4 or 5 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp urad dhal
- 7 to 8 red chillies
- a small pinch of tamarind
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida or hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- mustard and channa dhal for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 20 mins
- Wash and boil the tomatoes for 10 minutes. Drain the water and allow the tomatoes to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat little oil in a pan and roast the urad dhal and red chillies. When they are roasted to a slightly red colour, add the tamarind and hing and roast them for a minute. Switch off the heat and set aside for cooling.
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes, add them in a blender along with the roasted ingredients above and grind them all together to a fine paste.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a deep pan and splutter the mustard seeds and roast the channa dhal.
- To this add the ground tomato paste. Add salt to taste and turmeric powder. Mix well and simmer on medium for 15 minutes or until the oil separates.
- On cooling transfer to an air tight container and store in fridge. This goes very well with idli, dosa or even chapathis.