Monday, August 1, 2011

Zero Oil Lemon Pickle...Yumm

Believe it or not...this one is from my Great Grandma! I have lived with her all my life until I finished college...She was an epitome of briskness and agility and lived a completely healthy life till her last breath at the age of 97! She never wore specs, had no BP, diabetes, hearing loss for her age...and to top it all...She never knew how to walk with a slipper! Till the end she walked bare foot anywhere and at anytime of the day or night! I can jus go on and on about her but now let me take the previlege of passing on to you all one of her tasty lemon pickles. I have had the fortune to eat so many of her recipes.....and I hope you all enjoy this pickle as much as I have done in all my life...

Thanks Amma and Vidya for being so enthu to make the pickle and send me the pics too for posting in my blog!

Prepared in India with Indian Lemons:-)

Ingredients:

- 8 medium sized lemons ( preferably thin skinned)
- 12 green chillies (vary by preference)
- 1 tbsp salt ( vary by preference)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp hing, if solid - 1 cm piece

Prep time: 2 days

Preparation:


- Cut each lemon into 12-16 pieces.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, hing and soak for 48 hours. Mix it twice a day.


- After the lemons are soaked for 2 days, slit the green chillies and grind them into a coarse paste.
- At the end, add the lemon into the mixie and grind for 5 seconds at slow speed.
- Zero oil lemon pickle is ready to be eaten with your favourite 'thayir saadam'.
The US version:-)

Foot Note:
- If your lemon is thick skin variety, soak it for 3 days.
- Also, while grinding, you would need to give the lemon an extra whip. I had to grind it twice for 10 seconds each :-)

1 comment: